Indian handicrafts have been highly acclaimed for their regional and traditional arts. India has been a developing country for a long, but it is also the largest exporter of handicrafts from India among all the developing nations.
It’s labor-intensive work method, handicrafts in Indian Handicraft Industry are second to the Agriculture Department as a job generator.
Nearly 70,000 Indian exporting houses are involved in handicraft promotion, providing employment for more than 7 million artisans, including women.
Handicrafts Handloom Exports Corporation of India
In 1998-1999, India's handicraft market generated more than USD 1,000,000 in revenue.
India's handicraft exports were worth 118 billion Rupees in 2018, and it was surprising that they increased by 10 million rupees to 128 billion in 2019.
Which Indian handicraft is the most sought-after on the international market?
There is a huge demand for Indian handicrafts on the international markets. Here are the top-most wanted items -
The most important Handicraft Export From India
- Indian Home Decor
- Handmade Sarees and other hand-made products
- Furniture, home textiles, and homeware
- Precious jewelry and gems
- Imitation jewelry
These items are highly sought-after on an international platform.
Top Handicrafts Manufacturing States
- Saharanpur – Woodworks
- Assam - Terracotta Works
- Gujarat -Textile handicrafts, fabrics, and textiles
- South India - Coconut craft, Mask making, Silk weaving
- Kashmir - Woolen Handicrafts
- Rajasthan - Jewellery, Jewellery, and Precious Stones. Leather, Paintings. Silver, Brass.
These are some of the top exporters of Indian Handicrafts:
Handicrafts and Handloom Exports Corporation Of India
HHEC is a well-established Ministry of Textile company. It preserves Indian heritage, traditional handicrafts, and Indian antiques in its wide range of products, including Indian handlooms and Indian leather.
- Sanjay exports
This exporting company has been in business for 15 years and has successfully dealt with Ayurveda products and Natural Herbal products. These products are traditional, regional, and natural remedies from South India.
- Neha Export house
It is one of the most important export companies in India, dealing with Indian gemstones and jewelry.
- Sakura Handicrafts
Sakura Handicrafts is one of India's leading exporters. They trade in handmade carpets, silk tops, and silver-tone jewelry. Custom jewelry, bags, and other handicrafts.
Important Indian Handicraft Industry Related to Exports
- India's top handicraft exports are Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, and Rajasthan.
- Domestic Indian handicrafts are highly sought-after in Europe, Africa, South America, South America, and China.
- Europe and the USA account for more than half of India's total handicraft exports.
- Handicrafts made from India include stonecraft, woodwork, and ceramic.
The Major Buyers of Indian Handicrafts are:
- The USA has been a major buyer of hand-printed textiles, Zariwoods, Embroidery products, Imitation jewelry, Shawls, and Embroidery goods.
- The UK's an Indian Handicrafts client and consumes Crocheted and Art wares, Handmade handicrafts as well as Wood wares and imitation jewelry.
- Germany is well-known for its purchase of hand-printed textiles, imitation jewelry, and embroidery items.
The Government of India and the Private Sector have taken many initiatives to promote and develop Handicraft Exports from India. The National Handicraft Development Programme (NHDP) includes various schemes to promote and develop Indian Handicrafts.
There is potential for handicraft business development in India, as well as export of handicrafts from India. This industry has the potential to grow quickly at an international level.
Top 10 Most Popular Product Exports From India
HOW TO BEGIN EXPORT OF HANDICRAFTS FROM INDIA TO USA AND OTHER COUNTRIES
As you can see, India is an export hub. Indian artisans are highly sought after on the international markets. Exporters from India who have the highest margins and revenues are more successful. The information below will help you understand the intricacies of becoming India's largest export house.
Indian handicraft exporters interested in incorporating their export business must obtain a PAN card and incorporate it.
Next, register with the Director General of Foreign Trade to start exporting from India. This unique 10-digit code acts as an identification mark for Indian exporters.
Exporting from India is possible with multiple benefits provided by the government. Register with the relevant Commodity Boards or Export Promotion Councils to get these benefits. India has many export councils. The Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts (EPCH) is one example.
Many documents are required to be submitted to the relevant council in order to export to the USA or other countries. This list includes:
- Certificate of incorporation
- IEC Code
- Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts Registration Certificate
- Registration for Goods and Services Taxes
- Register MSME to get government benefits
- Register your trademark to protect your brand's identity
- Statements from banks and financial documents
- Identification and proof of address for the business owners
- Evidence of ownership of the premises
After all required documents have been submitted, potential exporters from India should look for a buyer or handicraft store in the USA or another overseas market. The government agencies help to find contacts for handicraft importers in America and facilitate seamless sales in the USA from India.
Indian exporters must find a trusted shipping partner to ensure the safe shipment of their goods. Exporters can seek the assistance of custom housing agencies for expedited customs clearance and delivery of goods from India to the USA.